Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Oil from trash? [Not 56k Friendly, large images]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:30 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Stolen from my other forums:

If a person toppled into a TCP machine, their body mass would be converted into:
4% minerals
4% gas
21.7% oil
70.3% sterlised water

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:31 pm 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

I find this concept fascinating. I'm also trying to show you some use of the forums that the noteboards in game simply don't allow for. Like general discussion.

Post subject: and..
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:18 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

aside from that, its a little known fact that

If a select few dark-legacy mudders toppled into a TCP machine, their body mass would be converted into:

90% hot air
10% weirdness

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:58 pm 

I read on /. (slashdot.org) they had come up with a self-powered roving bot that ate flies to power itself. Such a thing would be used to infiltrate inhospitable areas such as Chernobyl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:36 am 
 ICQ  Profile

Jorelani wrote:
I read on /. (slashdot.org) they had come up with a self-powered roving bot that ate flies to power itself. Such a thing would be used to infiltrate inhospitable areas such as Chernobyl.

interesting concept, but we all know how many flies are in chernobyls concrete dome :wink:

isabelle, I'm only worth 10% to you? :(

As for the process of TCP..I'm actually suprised that this process wasnt invented years ago. We've known (or at least, had a general idea) on how this stuff was formed for a decient amount of time. I guess it just took this long for technology to catch up with the thinkers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:45 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Sounds like the sequel to Soylent Green to me...

And I'd say I'd come out to the following:

50% weirdness
20% hotair
15% wit
15% sarcasm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:14 pm 

Many different methods for making oil and gas have been tried since the first world war. The TCP method metioned above is very simular to a new method just announced by Japan. They claim to have discovered how to make gas from cattle poop. But no info on how cost effective it is. But it is still a good way to reduce waste for cattle ranchers. Let the science continue! We await with baited breath!

Arureal
High Lord of Lowbies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:10 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

i also heard that they can withdraw energy from spinage. Imagine spinage powering your car in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:40 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Has anyone ever heard of Tar-Sand? Oil can be extraceted from it quite efficiently. Wanna know something else? There is a Tar-Sand mass in CANADA that has the potential to yeild MORE OIL THAN ALL THE COUNTRIES OF THE MIDDLE EAST COMBINED!!!! WOOT!!! What's better is tht with crude prices jumping up, it is now WORTH IT to construct refining facilities now for Tar-Sand. In otherwords, it's cheap enough to start doing on a large scale.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:00 pm 

Gilgolad wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of Tar-Sand? Oil can be extraceted from it quite efficiently. Wanna know something else? There is a Tar-Sand mass in CANADA that has the potential to yeild MORE OIL THAN ALL THE COUNTRIES OF THE MIDDLE EAST COMBINED!!!! WOOT!!! What's better is tht with crude prices jumping up, it is now WORTH IT to construct refining facilities now for Tar-Sand. In otherwords, it's cheap enough to start doing on a large scale.

Its not very efficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:55 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

makes no difference, canada pwns :)

also, this machine thing is amazing... and to say that there won't be enough waste to make enough fuel? psh, get a hundered dump trucks going back and forth to and from the factory to garbage dumps, and well be set... if this thing can do everything they say it can, woah :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:10 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

another option that is already out there is hydrogen fuel. According to the Scientific American, 10-20 years from now, everything may be replaced by hydrogen fuel. This inclues your car, your airplane, your computer, your cellphone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:54 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

Hydrogen will be a clean energy carrier, but it doesn't magically produce clean energy.

I think its the best option to centralise polution in a place where advanced techniques can be used to clean it up. It'll be up to the industry to produce it in a clean way. (fusion looks promising, esp. since they managed to get it working :P).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:28 pm 

Celeborn wrote:
Hydrogen will be a clean energy carrier, but it doesn't magically produce clean energy.

I think its the best option to centralise polution in a place where advanced techniques can be used to clean it up. It'll be up to the industry to produce it in a clean way. (fusion looks promising, esp. since they managed to get it working :P).

Yeah for like 2 seconds and it's marginally better at producing energy that it uses. 50 years and we'll be so money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:07 am 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

yeah, but... isnt hydrogen also very flammable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:39 am 
Arch-Caretaker

Thremp wrote:
Yeah for like 2 seconds and it's marginally better at producing energy that it uses. 50 years and we'll be so money.

I'm well aware the technology is in its experimental stages. That they reached break-even on energy generation is amazing on its own. However, I think i'll live to see a fusion power plant open up before my days are done. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:00 am 
Arch-Caretaker

Chilliwack wrote:

Yes, but it would create less damage than you would think. Hydrogen containers are designed to minimize the risk of explosion or perforation. In case of tank perforation, hydrogen disperses quickly up into the air instead of lingering like normal fuels, plus any fire lasts far shorter than with conventional fuels. There have been no cases of exploding tanks, but I suspect that might be because of the small scale it is currently being used. (plus if you would want to sell your hydrogen car later I doubt you'd tell people it exploded during testing :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:27 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

The kids over my school's engineering department are already driving several of those hydrogen fuel cars around campus. CRAZY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:54 am 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Celeborn wrote:
Chilliwack wrote:

Yes, but it would create less damage than you would think. Hydrogen containers are designed to minimize the risk of explosion or perforation. In case of tank perforation, hydrogen disperses quickly up into the air instead of lingering like normal fuels, plus any fire lasts far shorter than with conventional fuels. There have been no cases of exploding tanks, but I suspect that might be because of the small scale it is currently being used. (plus if you would want to sell your hydrogen car later I doubt you'd tell people it exploded during testing :P)

ahh, i was just goin from the whole zepplin thing... whatever its name was, im not good with specifics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:34 am 
Arch-Caretaker

Chilliwack wrote:
ahh, i was just goin from the whole zepplin thing... whatever its name was, im not good with specifics

Did a bit of googling about it, seems that the hindenburg burned so well due to the cloth wrapping. so the moment you wrap your hydrogen car in extremely burnable cloth I would start to worry. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:27 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

but thats what i /DO/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:34 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Chilliwack, hydorgen only explodes when mixed with the right amount of oxygen. We did this experiment in our high school Chemistry class, we collected jars of pure hydrogen and held a match in them, and the match went out becuase there was no oxygen to burn. We figured out the best burn happens with a 3 parts oxygen to 2 parts hydrogen mix.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!