Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Celeborns other MUD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:20 pm 

I once heard Celeborn was going to make a new MUD, but I was wondering how this was coming along...
So Celeborn, how's your new MUD coming along, and what will be the new name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:33 pm 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

hes had to postpone it to work on DL :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:58 am 

You're sick Celeborn!

But will you ever get to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:57 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I hope he does... I wanna play PvB *stamps feet*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:26 am 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

And we all want you to go there too, :)

Hopefully you can sometime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:29 am 
Dual-Avatar

I second that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:59 am 
 WWW  Profile

Am curious as to what will happen to DL if he ever does get his new mud up and running. Would be neat if players could be transferred to the new mud if he decides to shut down DL =(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:48 am 
 YIM  Profile

I STRONGLY agree with Blayze

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:42 pm 

Nell i have read that cele will keep dl running, even after pvb comes out in a couple years, heard it was going to take like 3 yrs to get pvb going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:34 am 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Blayze wrote:
Samius wrote:

I know I probably won't be "allowed" to play Celeborns new mud when its out, but heck its worth hoping that the players learn respect before they go onto this new and better mud. The Immortals need to learn about powertripping (Isabelle can't help herself) other than that I only had a problem with Radyn(when she was an immortal). So maybe he'll be the only immortal(you can only hope).

It would help if players respected Immortals. Its a rather annoying and frustrating thankless job, all the **** they have to deal with for trying to run the game. People can only take so much before they'll snap back at you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:09 am 
Dual-Avatar

Zeraphin wrote:
Blayze wrote:
Samius wrote:

I know I probably won't be "allowed" to play Celeborns new mud when its out, but heck its worth hoping that the players learn respect before they go onto this new and better mud. The Immortals need to learn about powertripping (Isabelle can't help herself) other than that I only had a problem with Radyn(when she was an immortal). So maybe he'll be the only immortal(you can only hope).

It would help if players respected Immortals. Its a rather annoying and frustrating thankless job, all the **** they have to deal with for trying to run the game. People can only take so much before they'll snap back at you.

I agree completely. I've said as much before; that is how a lot of crap started. Idiot players harass immortals -> immortals eventually become jaded and hostile to players,eventually to ALL players -> players undergo the same reaction to the immortals that the immortals did to the idiot players and everyone continues to piss each other off.

DL has been caught in that vicious cycle for a while now. Our only active immortal anymore is Isabelle, and she is very hostile to players, due to the aforementioned reason. She, in turn angers the rest of the players by being rude, hostile, and disrespectful to them. The current situation in DL is that a good portion of the players hate Isabelle, and she seems to view players in general as a scourge on DL. Most of the players I've talked to feel this is Isabelle's fault, wheras she blames it on the players, when in reality no one person or group of people are wholly responsible. I doubt anyone could stay in Isabelle's position as long as she has and not become jaded; most people would have gone insane by now if they were in her position. On the other hand, Isabelle is hostile to us, and one person being nice to her doesn't change that; I've tried, and something always comes up and ruins it >.<

What can we do about this? I don't think any one person can fix this; a lot of people seem to think that Isabelle is the problem and should be "fired", but most likely those same people would just harass her replacement until we are back at the same situation. Something has to be done to decrease the general level of hostility in DL.

I have a few thoughts on how to do that, but none of them are within my control.

Firstly, we need more immortals - Isabelle has to deal with far too much crap for any one person to handle. I can't name many DL players who would make good immortals, though, so that's a hard one.

Secondly, we need something to make us all work together. Obviously, players and immortals can't really work together on anything, but if those immortals were also players, they could. Perhaps large quests, requiring everyone to work together to complete it, with immortals participating on their mortal characters to help other the players along. Everyone who helped would be rewarded equally, including the immortals, players don't have to compete with each other. It would help things a lot of the immortals thought of themselves as players as well, and if the other players considered the immortals to be fellow players. Being an immortal, after all, does not make you better than other players, it is a responsibility to make the game better for everyone and to keep individual players from ruining it for everyone.

Third, troublemakers need to be dealt with more harshly. This whole cycle is started by a relatively small number of people who cause problems, then runs an unending course. I do NOT mean that anyone who breaks a rule should be banned, and I feel that Isabelle should NOT be allowed to make the determination of who is a troublemaker(otherwise, people will disappear on the basis of who Isabelle dislikes the most, and the people who actually start the problems may or may not be disposed of). The main offenders? For one, People who harass other players(the term "harassment" is now used as a blanket offense by immortals to ban anyone they want, this cheapens it and makes getting away with actual harassment easier). Also, people who cause large amounts of irritation for other players, examples being arguing excessively over public channels, insulting people on public channels, constantly raising bids by 10 coins, and people who cause excessive spam(it is annoying and can be stressful). Note that I said "people" and not "players", immortals or just random idiots who don't really play the game can cause just as much trouble as actual players.

Fourth, we need to prevent new troublemakers from appearing. Frequently, a new player quickly makes it clear that they cause trouble. I believe vowing is intended to cut down on things like this, but nearly anyone can vow and people hand out vows like candy. Something needs to be done to make accessing public channels harder, and to make it much harder for a player to earn a "place" on DL, where they can affect other players.

Fifth, Isabelle needs a vacation! No, not an involuntary one and not so we can "get rid of her" *glares at certain individuals*

I'd rather play on a fun mud with a friendly atmosphere than a perfectly balanced mud. *winks at Celeborn*

Sorry for being longwinded, but I really don't know any other way to be :P

And, lastly: Isabelle, this post is not intended to be insulting or derogatory to you, if you get that impression, please re-read it before replying ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:17 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

you may think i am rude and hostile to players, and when it comes to people who cheat, or annoy me to no end, that's probably true, however, those who don't annoy me, can play quite comfortably knowing that we will try to stay out of each others way.

Do i hate people? Nope. Do i like people? Sure, that's why i do the amount of work that i do, because i want people to be happy. Am i the person in charge of disciplinary action when it comes to that? Yes, i confer with my colleagues often when it comes to that, and then yes, i can be seen as the 'bad person'

Basically, go ask any player that has never cheated, or pissed off players by harassing them, and see how bad i am, you will find we get along just fine. Those who get banned, or those who are denied reimbursements for one reason or another will always choose to say 'oh, mean isabelle needs to go' My response to that is, tough luck, i leave when Celeborn wants me to leave, end of story.

And since he knows the truth on various matters, what disgruntled / banned players have to say about me is not worth the time involved in reading their rants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:44 pm 

I generally stay away from annoying imms, and isa has yet to act hostile towards me, i really don't know much about i don't interact with her at all really. Its just players not wanting to accept responsibility for there actions, giving isa a bad name. From what ppl have wrote it sounds she may be opinionated, but do we all have a right to our own opinion. Isa is just not shy about stating hers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:12 am 

Isabelle wrote:
you may think i am rude and hostile to players, and when it comes to people who cheat, or annoy me to no end, that's probably true, however, those who don't annoy me, can play quite comfortably knowing that we will try to stay out of each others way.

Do i hate people? Nope. Do i like people? Sure, that's why i do the amount of work that i do, because i want people to be happy. Am i the person in charge of disciplinary action when it comes to that? Yes, i confer with my colleagues often when it comes to that, and then yes, i can be seen as the 'bad person'

Basically, go ask any player that has never cheated, or pissed off players by harassing them, and see how bad i am, you will find we get along just fine. Those who get banned, or those who are denied reimbursements for one reason or another will always choose to say 'oh, mean isabelle needs to go' My response to that is, tough luck, i leave when Celeborn wants me to leave, end of story.

And since he knows the truth on various matters, what disgruntled / banned players have to say about me is not worth the time involved in reading their rants.

Isa you meant to say that you like no one, and you hate everyone and when people send you tells you have an autoslay trigger. ;)

lol I was just kidding........ :shock: seriously........ just kidding......

Lots of people have problems...... but I find if you don't do things that cause you to need an immortal (unless it's a bug of some sort, in that case you just ..... ask for one? Then you're fine, else the immortals cause you harm.) No matter who the person is (kinda) if they are caught using a bug they get into trouble..... I know of maybe 2 characters that haven't from what I've heard and seen, but that doesn't really mean anything cause I don't see and hear everything..... I wish I did, but I don't.

Anywho I really forgot what I was going to say, but if you need people to help with the other mud you've got my email, and though I busy now I'll have more time later (now I'm getting grades up and such for univeristy)