Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:04 am 
Dual-Avatar

Got my first SAT score back, it's the new version, got a 1760 on it!
Provbably could do better but at least i have a score now, that means the application processes can commence.....well, not now, BUT SOON!

Oh, and btw, if anyone is worried about the essays on that test, i BS'ed mine and still got an 8 0f 12, and thats without a conclusion paragraph, so there shouldn't be alot to worry about. :P

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:28 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

no idea what that means but good job :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:18 am 
Dual-Avatar

The SATs are tests in the US that test 3 subjects (grammar, math, and writing) with scores ranging from 100-800 on each subject...perfect score would be a 2400.

And Gilgolad, from what I've heard, it doesn't so much matter what you write but, rather, how much you write. Length and decent penmanship have a much higher effect on your grade for the essay portion than content does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:00 am 
Dual-Avatar

I've heard that too, but they only give you 2 pages to write on, and i was 4 or 5 lines away from completely filling both pages, ran out of time though...

And Kiasyn, a little more background on the SAT, its the standardised test from hell in the USA. If you do well enough on this test, you stand a better chance of makeing it into your college of choice. 5 hours of bubbles. 5 hours. I go bored about 3\4 of the way through and just stopped careing what i penciled in. :lol: I guess i could have done better but I had to get up too early that morning and was sitting around for most of the time. I got hungry too, threw off my concentration. If i really tried i guess i could snagg another 100-200 more points.

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:02 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

sooo...... why didnt you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:09 am 
Dual-Avatar

I can always take the test as many times as i want, i was planning on doing so anyway. The first time was more of a reconnetoring run for me anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:42 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

coulda said so before :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:04 am 
Dual-Avatar

I've heard more people call it a joke than a test from hell :P More time sitting around after finishing a section than it takes to do a section

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:14 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i hate long boring tests >.>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:18 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 YIM  Profile

I hear the SAT's are graded on a curve now. 1300 used to be a good score :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:44 am 
Tri-Avatar

Vogar Eol wrote:
I hear the SAT's are graded on a curve now. 1300 used to be a good score :P

Nah, they just added another 800 point section. Before the max was 1600, with two sections being worth 800 each...Now they added an essay portion, worth an additional 800...So the max is 2400.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:07 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I just spent a week at Boys' State, and holy cow was that tough.

Boys' State is a program sponsored and run by the American Legion, and invites boys who have completed the 11th grade and who are among the best and brightest in their class. The programs purpose is to teach he priciples of goverment and democracy through hands on experiance. The program runs for one week, and the boys are selected by an interview done by local Legioneers.

So, what happens there is as follows:
Boys from all across the state, in my case New York, are divided up into 10 counties, each containing 3 cities of 30 people each. The 10 counties make up the "State". Everyone runs for a position in government from the city to the state level. (I made Deputy Sheriff for my county) Everyone then does their job and learns what it takes to do the job. However, the hard part is getting elected. All 1000 boys are split into 2 Parties, the Federalists and the Nationalists, and party caucuses and other political rallies take place, then the nominies are voted upon by the whole population.

Here's the twist, the Marine Corps send 10 Marines to train and instruct the boys on drilling and discipline. In short, the atmosphere is much like a watered down Boot Camp, PT is at 6 AM, drilling practice is done as needed, the rooms and beds need to be made just so or the Marines trash the room, ect. It was alot of fun though, despite the Marines giving us hell all week long. We all owe so much to them.

The advantages of the program are so numerous, but among the best is the fact that it goes on your High School Transcript, and colleges everywhere are very impressed by it.

Anyone who wants to know more should go to the following web site, it was set up by the boys's state media team, who also published a newspaper for us each morning. Cruise around the site, you might even see a picture of me, but for my own privacy i wont tell you my name or number unless someone askes me over the tell lines, and then only if i trust you. Oh yeah, i also encourage you to watch the video, its about 20 min long, but it gives the best impression short of haveing been there about what happened there. (It does not show, however, what the Marines did to us when the cameras weren't looking :lol: ) By the way, if it seems like we were all brain washed, we weren't. just filled with pride in our counrty and our nations symbol of freedom, the American Flag!!

www.nyamericanlegionboysstate.org

If anyone happens to have been there with me, send me a tell if you see me! I'd love to stay in contact with my fellow Boys Staters! Or just anyone who knows what the program is or has heard of it or participated in previous years or in other states.

Semper Fi!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:33 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Vogar Eol wrote:
Join some branch of the military.

:lol: i love this picture of the military to bad its not from the US

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:57 pm 
Dual-Avatar

Look Russian to me....damn Ruskies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:35 pm 
Dual-Avatar

OK, new challenge, i just got the Candidate instruction manual from the Air Force academy. about 10 official documents i have to fill out just so, and half of it has to be done with the help of my school guidance councellor who is lazy as hell. getting help from them is like trying to pull teeth...... looks like i need to beat them about the head and shoulders to make damn sure they do what i tell them to on those forms.