Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zoe update -- aka why I may not be around much for a while
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:03 am 
As stated in previous entries. Zoe has been diagnosed with delayed visual maturation with suspected cortical visual imparment. Which means in english that there is a communication problem between her brain and her eyes. She was seen by a team from Babies Can't Wait which was a group containing a doctor, nurse, occupational therapist, and social worker. They have reccomended that she have occupational therapy twice a month for 60 minutes each session for the next 6 months. They also are going to enroll her in the BEGIN program. They teach parents developmental activities to help their vision impaired child progress. Also, she will be treated by GA PINES which is a statewide early intervention program, begun in 1980, for families of children birth to five years of age with a diagnosed hearing impairment and/or a visual impairment. Both of these groups will make either weekly or bi weekly visits to our home or Zoe and I will be going to their centers.

In addition to all of this, they will be doing an infant swallow study to make sure that she is feeding correctly and that when she feeds that milk is not going into her lungs. They are doing this because they are concerned about the fact that Zoe chokes and gags when she eats and want to make sure she does not get anything in her lungs and develop something horrible like phenomia. If she does have problems with the swallow study, then she will also have a speech/feeding therapist added to the group of people treating her.

Additionally, she is going to be seeing a neurologist in the coming weeks as well. This is partially for the CVI and partially because they are concerned about some muscle twiching she does. Babies Can't Wait has also reccomended that I apply for disability for Zoe due to the nature of what is going on with her.

So yep. I will be busy.