Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Donate please!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:09 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

Celeborn will not beg for donation so i'll do it for him.

Anyone who has been playing DL for sometime now please go here https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr
and make a donation. Celeborn has been using his own money to keep us entertained for many years now, this is the least we can do for him!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:24 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I'd be more than happy to donate, and will if certain things in the mud change, I love DL and would gladly contribute money to help it prosper.

However, contributing money to DL is an investment in it, and I'm not willing to invest in something when I have no say in it whatsoever, it is often changed for the worse despite player protest, and the people who run it have a proven track record of showing little but disrespect to the players(not to say that the immortals are unfair or mean, but from what I have seen, they have exactly zero respect for the players, and certain immortals behave immaturely, at players' expense).

We already invest time in the mud, if we were to invest money as well, it wouldn't just be "Celeborn's Mud" anymore, and it wouldn't be right for us to have absolutely no say in anything, and for the immortals to do whatever they want to us simply because it's their mud, not ours. Even though we'd have no legal ownership in it, we'd be investing a lot and it would, in a sense, be "our" mud. After all, what does Celeborn invest in DL? Time and money.

Finally, this post is NOT intended to be a slap in the face, bitching, or complaining. I realize that Celeborn only casually informed us that we COULD donate to DL, he isn't begging for or demanding money, and this isn't a rebuke for him doing so(he didn't, after all). Celeborn and the Imms are well within their rights, however you look at it, with the way they run the mud now, and I am grateful to Celeborn for giving us such a great game at his own time and expense. It's their mud and they can do what they please. I'm simply pointing out how us helping to finance the mud would change things; this is intended to be informative, not insulting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:11 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

I would like to reply to Nuitari.

A donation is just that, a gift with no expectation of returned benefit.
You give it because you support what DL has become, and you wish to leviate some of the costs I make keeping it online.

You wont get anything for your donation other than my gratitude, and I will pay for hosting regardless of donations, which doesn't make it an investment.

I recommend you play some pay-to-play games, and see what 20$ a month gets you in ways of respect, rights, and decision making. :P

So in short, if you dont support my work, dont donate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:45 pm 
Dual-Avatar

I don't expect and didn't ask for anything in return for a donation, and I have played pay to play games.

Every second a player spends on DL is an investment of time in DL, and any money donated is an investment into Dark Legacy, not in a legal sense, but in the literal interpretation of the word "investment". DL would be nothing without you, and nothing without us. We all contribute to its success and continued existence, though you of course contribute far more than any of us.

Like I said...I like DL, but currently, not enough to donate money to it. So I'll just keep playing and hope that one day the Immortals shape up and you fix some of the glaring issues with the game ; ). Even with its problems, DL is a great game and reflects well on your coding skill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:58 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

If you want to Invest, build a top 50 list of most glaring issues. ;)

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Celly

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:12 pm 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

well, you want a say in how dark legacy evolves, newsflash, just about every good idea, that was possible to be implemented.. HAS BEEN !

Of course, the complaining lot will say, oh the caretakers did this and that, and they never listen to us the players.. the caretakers read what people submit, and when feasible, we implement the ideas. It's been that way since the beginning, i have personally been witness to hundreds of player submitted ideas which Celeborn alone has implemented. Other such ideas which myself and the others have been able to implement have also been done.

And there's no exaggeration on that.

The caretakers arent here to be your friend, it's not our purpose, we will however try our best to keep the game exciting, and challenging when possible. There are shortcomings, and limitations to our abilities, but we try :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:52 pm 
Dual-Avatar

It's not easy to find 50 glaring issues, DL is a great game, after all. Here are 10, and I can probably come up with 40 more if you want.

Wearing armor makes you easier to kill.

Addy and Meteorite, the "best" metals, are actually WORSE than mitrill for most equipment.

There is no PK system. Killing the same mobs over and over again gets old. Fighting other players is relatively exciting and challenging.

The justice system is buggy, and can get people jailed without actually doing anything wrong.

When they occur, coding changes tend to create new problems, rather than fixing existing ones(for example, instead of addressing the fact that offensive magic is nearly useless except for killing supermobs, you cripple its ability to kill supermobs by making breath interact with balance and consider nerfing other spells in the same manner)

It is far too easy for someone with nothing to lose to ruin the gaming experience of a large number of players. A complete newbie, who has invested no time in DL and has nothing but a level 3 character, can harass and annoy the entire mud over ooc. The established players can't really do much about it, aside from using ignore, since they can and probably will be punished for reciprocating insults/violence, wheras the newbie has nothing to lose. This situation should be reversed, established players who have invested more time into the game and have more to lose should have more influence in such things.

Rules, particularly ones on harrasment, are entirely subject to the opinions and favoritism of whatever Immortals happen to be on. While DL's immortals don't seem to practice excessive favoritism, a player has no recourse if an immortal decides they don't like that player, they can either suffer or go play another mud. Harassment, in particular, is used by immortals as a sort of "blanket offense" that they can nail anyone with. Immortals often need only an excuse to punish someone, not a reason. This seems to be far less of a problem than in the past, though, or at least I haven't seen it much anymore.

With AC capped, AR not capped, AC costing more per effective point than AR, and metal armor messed up, combat at higher levels consists of nothing but spamming jabs at your opponent's head and casting heal and regenerate on yourself.

New, beneficial content is rarely added to DL. Most changes take what is already there and detract from it in some way to make the game less fun (removing overcharging, nerfing speed[neccessary, but crudely handled], removing hide/sneak from equipment, forcing us to id drain eq, making items in shops not ided, making hunger lower our stats, the appetite code, astral walk nerfs[why would a zoo be barred against entry from the astral plane?], and the new, anal area level restrictions, to name a few). This is not to say that ALL of the changes to DL have been bad, there are several great ones that make DL stand out among muds(the combat system, prism magic & runes, the minimap, and the crafting system, among others).

A complete lack of rp. This is, of course, not your fault; players and IMMs need to work together to make RP work. You could take out most public global channels and tells, allow limited pking for PvP purposes, and hold quests that require you to stay IC. If players want to chat with large numbers of people, they can sit down together in a Tavern or Tsq, talk on their guild channel, or use magical means of communication(dream and transporting notes, for example). Players could also recieve rewards for roleplaying well( not"good job, you roleplayed today, have some emeralite"; but maybe players gradually earn RP points which IMMS can use as a basis for distributing periodic quest-type rewards or something)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:26 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

that is quite a list.

Code:
Wearing armor makes you easier to kill.

I agree to with this to some degree, but not comepletely. Wearring armor the wrong armor can get you killed easily that to just run around naked. I have no solution to this. anyone has one?

Code:
Addy and Meteorite, the "best" metals, are actually WORSE than mitrill for most equipment.

I dont know about worst, but i know that they are not worth it. Torrim and i have a mitrill helmet and an emeralite helmet e200 for comparison. If you test it out in PvP you'll realize that you've just wasted a bunch of emeralites on your helmet. a mitrill one is almost just as good. there is a reason why i didnt wear my emeralite cuirass for nearly a year. It just didnt worth it, my survival was greater not wearing it. This isnt the case anymore since the mobility penalty has lowered significantly.

Code:
There is no PK system. Killing the same mobs over and over again gets old. Fighting other players is relatively exciting and challenging.

there is a pk system called "guild war." Eventhough this sounds great, the problem is that it is not a personal choice. The whole guild has to agree going into war. Not only that, everyone from the opposing guild also has to accept war. In real life, when someone attack you, you do not have the option of accepting or rejecting an attack. It is clear by now that there aren't that many wars on DL. The veterans who used to be deadly are leaving one by one. Even when you are in war, you realize that there's no objective. How do you know when it is over? what do you get out of it? For example, when we were at war with Legion of Darkness, everyone simply defected and rejoin when the war is over. there's really no disadvantages in defecting from a guild. anyone can just hop in and out easily. guilds no longer offer the protection and support that they once had. They are simply another channel to chat on. a person is safer not belonging to a guild.

Code:
The justice system is buggy, and can get people jailed without actually doing anything wrong.

I dont know what is buggy about the justice system, i thought all bugs are reported and fixed. However, i find problems with the justice system nontheless. For example, attacking hyakuhai and spaz will get you in jail. as long as DL gets new players, Hyakuhai and Spaz will always be attacked. There arent' enough options for Justice Guards to chose from. Justice Guards are completely useless unless there is [criminal] tag. JG can not change sentences and or release prisoners incase they discover something new about the case. We have the option to file a report for the caretakers to deal with A holes when the caretakers log on, but this process is inefficient. Alot of things can go wrong at every step. New justice guards are inexperience. Most notes posted by the new and even old justice guards do no longer follow the procedure set out by Durrandar.
I like the Justice system, i just hope that it will be better in the future.

Code:
When they occur, coding changes tend to create new problems, rather than fixing existing ones

I mostly agree with this. Everytime we have a new patch, all hell breaks loose. you either have constant crashing or something else including the new patch gets bugged. I suppose this is what keeps the immortals busy :)

Code:
(for example, instead of addressing the fact that offensive magic is nearly useless except for killing supermobs, you cripple its ability to kill supermobs by making breath interact with balance and consider nerfing other spells in the same manner)

I'm not sure i agree with this one.

Code:
It is far too easy for someone with nothing to lose to ruin the gaming experience of a large number of players. A complete newbie, who has invested no time in DL and has nothing but a level 3 character, can harass and annoy the entire mud over ooc. The established players can't really do much about it, aside from using ignore, since they can and probably will be punished for reciprocating insults/violence, wheras the newbie has nothing to lose. This situation should be reversed, established players who have invested more time into the game and have more to lose should have more influence in such things.

a caretaker can always silence a person from being offensive in public. The real problem is when the caretaker is not on. for example, a while back Kiasyn auctioned an item named something like "ddd (1000x extra D's, which ruined linewrapping and made this unreadable ;), -celeborn) ddd." what do you do to stop players from doing something like this and ruin everyone's fun? I really dont have a solution to many of these problems however i have a solution to profanity. Perhaps celeborn can code a list of key words. Anyone deliver these words on public channel will automatically be silenced or a criminal tag automatically attaches to their name after several automated warnings. Maybe this will keep justice guards something to do.

Code:
Rules, particularly ones on harrasment, are entirely subject to the opinions and favoritism of whatever Immortals happen to be on. While DL's immortals don't seem to practice excessive favoritism, a player has no recourse if an immortal decides they don't like that player, they can either suffer or go play another mud. Harassment, in particular, is used by immortals as a sort of "blanket offense" that they can nail anyone with. Immortals often need only an excuse to punish someone, not a reason. This seems to be far less of a problem than in the past, though, or at least I haven't seen it much anymore.

This used to be a huge problem, i at least i thought it was. favortism seems to die down after xyz left the mud. I really dont care about favortism anymore. People can do whatever they way, as long as they don't bug me.

Code:
With AC capped, AR not capped, AC costing more per effective point than AR, and metal armor messed up, combat at higher levels consists of nothing but spamming jabs at your opponent's head and casting heal and regenerate on yourself.

metal armors should almost always be better than wooden armors. You don't see knights in medival time running around with wooden armors do you? the only time that i see wooden armors being used are from primitive and unadvanced tribes that havent discovered metals.

I really dont know what to do with regeneration. I'm not sure there is even a problem with regeneration.

Code:
New, beneficial content is rarely added to DL. Most changes take what is already there and detract from it in some way to make the game less fun (removing overcharging, nerfing speed[neccessary, but crudely handled], removing hide/sneak from equipment, forcing us to id drain eq, making items in shops not ided, making hunger lower our stats, the appetite code, astral walk nerfs[why would a zoo be barred against entry from the astral plane?], and the new, anal area level restrictions, to name a few). This is not to say that ALL of the changes to DL have been bad, there are several great ones that make DL stand out among muds(the combat system, prism magic & runes, the minimap, and the crafting system, among others).

nerfing speed is not cruel. infact, in my opinion, speed should be wipe out completely. this would screw up alot of people including my friends so i really dont know. identifying equ before enchanting it makes alot of sense. The problem with this is that we have added an annoyance to DL making it less fun to play. Hunger lowering stats and the whole appetite code is cruelly exserted on many of us. We are penalized for having nice equ with lots of effect on is it not? I think that the appetite caused by effects should be completely removed. I have been against this since it first came out and after all this time, i have no reason to change my mind. the hunger lowering stats is an annoyance but i suppose it is neccessary. You cant expect to perform optimally when you're dying of starvation and thirst.

Code:
A complete lack of rp. This is, of course, not your fault; players and IMMs need to work together to make RP work. You could take out most public global channels and tells, allow limited pking for PvP purposes, and hold quests that require you to stay IC. If players want to chat with large numbers of people, they can sit down together in a Tavern or Tsq, talk on their guild channel, or use magical means of communication(dream and transporting notes, for example). Players could also recieve rewards for roleplaying well( not"good job, you roleplayed today, have some emeralite"; but maybe players gradually earn RP points which IMMS can use as a basis for distributing periodic quest-type rewards or something)

I'm not a big RPer simply because i didnt like the many restrictions. DL already is boring alot of time, going RP makes it worst. Alora is a peaceful place. Nothing happens much. I understand that caretakers are busy with their life and or busy fixing bugs. I would like to ask for a position as an RP caretaker. My role is to make DL interesting. This includes giving out quests and daily involvement with mortals (not in a way that is giving advantages or disadvantages) in an RP perspective.

My resume:
- 3 years of DL experience
- questing experience
- known to be fair
--------------------------------
I will not do the following
- use my power that will give anyone advantages or disadvantages including my own mortal characters
- abuse my power to do evil deeds to people i dont like (in case you were worrying about that)
- handle disputes among mortals.
- build areas
- fix bugs (i will report if i see one)
------------------------------
what i will do
- becomming a strict RP caretaker
- involve in mortals lives in ways that make them interesting and fun
- give out quests.
- pay extra attention to people that have an [RP] tag.

I like to have a 2 weeks try out and you'll see what i mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:13 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

i just reread my previous note and lot didnt make any sense. i was really tired.

Post subject: Re: Donate please!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:22 am 
 WWW  Profile

lingolas wrote:
Celeborn will not beg for donation so i'll do it for him.

Anyone who has been playing DL for sometime now please go here https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr
and make a donation. Celeborn has been using his own money to keep us entertained for many years now, this is the least we can do for him!!!

I agree. I will leave by saying I donated and will again =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:14 pm 

my parents prohibited me from creating a paypal account...
elsewise i would surely donate...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:32 am 

Personally, I think that Isa does a fairly good job in dealing with mortal vs mortal trouble, but I think we need more than one immortal that is willing to deal with mortal's pesky troubles. It's easier to get ahold of someone when there is more than one person to try to get. That kinda thing...

(It's late, I'm tired, I was studying and I should be studying. My apologies if this doesn't make sense.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:55 pm 

I enjoy busting the chops of those who misbehave.

I don't have any reason to cheat, as I no longer play.

I've proven leadership skill. I like puppys and fuzzy kittens.

I would love to be an imm on DL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:35 am 
Dual-Avatar

If you no longer play, why should you become an immortal????? :?:

And the angels sang in immaculate chorus, and down from the heavens decended Chuck Norris!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:54 pm 

Why did you need to say anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:29 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions over the last few months. I really appriciate it! :) :D