Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Did one of you write this?
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:57 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

I found the similarities striking, I think I'll keep this nearby for any future MUD attempts :P

http://www.memorableplaces.com/mudwimping.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:23 pm 
Arch-Caretaker

twinklepants wrote:
Torrim posted a link to it on this forum like a year ago.

I know, sounds familiar huh?

ah, missed that :P well its a model that shows similarities with DL. Looking at other remarks on his site I think the writer is talking about RoD.

Do you guys happen to know a big mud that has avoided the situation as stated in the article for a 5+ year duration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:16 am 
Lowbie

Celeborn wrote:
twinklepants wrote:
Torrim posted a link to it on this forum like a year ago.

I know, sounds familiar huh?

ah, missed that :P well its a model that shows similarities with DL. Looking at other remarks on his site I think the writer is talking about RoD.

Do you guys happen to know a big mud that has avoided the situation as stated in the article for a 5+ year duration?

I enjoyed the read, Hmm..

I could probely point out the flaws in any major mud, or minor thats been through that circle, it happends to all of them. Some came out succesful by ignoring one playerbase and sticking to the majority, and their 'concept' but they never been truly succesful and satisfying the need of every player.

I would say find out where your values are for the mud and just go for them.

This happends for real games too, I find that they stick to their concept and becomes succesful. (Guildwars, is the best PVP game i've played, it lacks story, content and such, but all its playability is in the PVP... In your mud I would say its in the new open, approach, you had crafting, dual classing and no limits.. atleast thats what my thougts is, What i'm saying is, just follow your heart, where your values lie, dont try to make it to something you dont want ;P)

Remember a players wishes is seperate from yours, but yours are the priority we are not the one driving the mud. We are merely enjoying it to our best.

-- Edited, just wanted to put in, there are somethings i strongly disagree of in the article, and would like to say just use that article as a guidance not a bible, :P.. anyway thought it was importent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:10 pm 

Celeborn, if you're looking to improve your mud (which I know you always are) you don't have to turn to some stupid guide someone with way too much time on their hands decided to write. You should look to the players, to the posts on this forum, that's what's going to bring people back to your mud.

I think the main thing that would bring people back is some good quests, I know that it's hard to do and all that jazz, but you and I both know that people have been wanting quests for some time now.

You need to keep the immortals and the players on the same level, I understand that the players can be demanding and such, but if they've found a bug defer them to the bug command, etc. You've enough great commands in game to have the immortals only be told about major problems or player issues.

Don't, ever rely on a certain, small and 'elite' group to make recommendations for the entire mud. People will look and say "Tuler and his friends are running the mud, and Celeborn isn't listening to me, wtf". This creates a sharp separation in the mud.

The main thing is to try to keep the game constantly moving. New areas and quests are vital for this. Your crafting system, etc is great and works very well to keep people doing something, but mining can only be fun for so long :P

Look to your mud and your players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:07 pm 
Lowbie

Hmm.. When I came to think of it, for a 5+ years duration I would say IRE's muds, they dont suffer alot of whimping but their whole concept is pay to play...

Their longvity comes from the PVP mainly and player interaction, conflicts, they had 'whimping' of classes but its was merely to balance the PVP. People moan and groan, but in the end it was better, it gives people a better chance to stand. Its like a wide rock, paper, scissor game. Which has no end until the content becomes stale.

But these issues are no diffrent from games, if you compare this with d2 it was all about equipment, that's all diablo's engine was, there was no pvp gameplay. It was hack n slash, very similar to this i would say, but they had good balance on weapons, monsters and etc.

Guildwars had PVP, they have alot of content but it lacks depth, its just a showoff for the market, to get custumers. Its playability is in PVP aswell, with a very advanced approach. I dont want to call it rock paper scissor, cause its not.

What i'm saying in the end, just go for your goal and do it.

I think a formula for balances, is required for any none rp mud to create longvity... just want to point you in the right direction from what i think.

i would advice you to check out ww.muddev.wishes.net for ideas or any other muddeveloper community, i know there's a few just can't remember them so well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:11 am 
Arch-Caretaker

Gnawer wrote:
i would advice you to check out ww.muddev.wishes.net for ideas or any other muddeveloper community, i know there's a few just can't remember them so well...

OOoOooOo great resource, thanks!

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:36 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

i didnt write it but it is almost exactly what i feel about DL. I don't agree on every point with the author, but i sure do for many of his/her points. I agree with much of the whimping but disagree about a non-violent/dramma environment fostering a healthier mud.

I have been unfortunately enough to witness almost every stage of a dying mud that the author described. Celeborn, if you go back and search the old forum, the very first one, you'll see my post about how DL is moving away from what makes the mud FUN. I pointed out that new implementations attempting to nerf the mud was making the mud more realistic but less fun. I pointed that out probably 3 years ago and now we are witnessing the consequences.

Despite the fact that i've been unhappy with the path that DL has been heading, I'm still optimistic. I'll continue to play DL no matter how **** it becomes, but that is not to say that I won't continue to complain whenever needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:53 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

not really done reading this thing, but whoever wrote that can neither form sentences very well, or make good-looking webpages...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:59 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

Chilliwack wrote:
not really done reading this thing, but whoever wrote that can neither form sentences very well, or make good-looking webpages...

should be NOR instead of or

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:55 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

'least that's a more common mistake than all the crap he/she wrote