Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Final Post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:32 am 

[edit: original post removed. then replaced after suit issue was settled]

For those of you that thought my retirement was temporary. It's not. I gave everything I own to Weemster. Except for an emeralite statue of myself for the RH Hall :) Go ahead, c locate emeralite. Ain't it a pretty statue?

It was fun while it lasted. I enjoyed levelling, and hoarding my emeralite, which despite popular rumors, was obtained legally. I had fun meeting many different people, some of whom I now consider good friends, and will keep in touch with.

Of course, there's always the bad apples of the mud. The typical gossip hounds. i.e. "omg did you know that laurana...." or "yeah, I heard that she ate brains" It's odd how things can get so blown out of proportion. I'm not sure whether it's the insatiable desire to gossip and get the best story, or just the lack of caring when it comes to keeping facts straight. I'm sure it's a combination of the both.

In addition to the hounds, there's always one or two annoyances. People that exist solely to piss other people off. Despite popular belief, that wasn't my goal at Dark Legacy. I just didn't feel like conforming to the way people wanted me to behave. Not out of spite, but I just didn't care. Frankly, if you're one of the people sitting at their computers screaming "YES! She's GONE!" I'm flattered. Without even trying to, there are a few people who I've managed to get to hate me. (of course there are a few people who have very good reason to hate me. Hi Sylvan :P)I know hate is a strong word, but there a few people that have BONDED over their hatred of me. But hey, thats what I do. I bring people together :)

It's sorta sad though. I was upset before when I realized there was an unofficial "I hate Laurana Club." But then a friend of mine put it into perspective:

[16:02] AnonymousFriend: it should be flattering, this b**** spent so long making a web page just for you
[16:02] AnonymousFriend: she must really hate you
[16:02] lilla9678: she really does
[16:02] AnonymousFriend: its not everyday that you can get under someones skin like that
[16:02] lilla9678: ya know... when you put it that way.. i sorta like it :P

The concept is still disconcerting though. The idea that there is someone out there that just LIVES to hate you. For no good reason either. I asked a friend once why a certain player hated me, and I was shocked. "That's why they hate me? I thought they had a good reason."

Seriously, there is a certain player who actively hates me based on these facts:
1. They are convinced that I used Daematrix to steal guild secrets from Sentinels. (LMAO)
2. They think I'm a slut.
3. They don't think that I'm hot.

Yeap. Those two reasons. Sad. But if it makes them feel better to hate me, then more power to them. I guess it somehow helps them deal with the stuff going on in their own personal life. Instead of worrying about important crap they focus their energy on hating me. *shrugs* If it works, it works. And if they really think that I'm going to date a guy just to get information about their puny little guild... Wow. You've got severe delusions. And about the slut and hotness factors... like I really care about what you have to say about me.

I'm going to be the adult in this situation though. T, dispite our differences and the elaborate webpage you made devoted just to me, I've decided not to sue you. I came pretty damn close to it today. Talked to a few different lawyers in Calgary and Los Angeles, and they did say I had a case for defamation of character. I at first thought, "Wow, I get to really nail this chick" So I plotted revenge for a few hours, but then the perspective came in. T you're lucky I'm forgiving of others weaknesses.

I'm going to be the adult in this situation though. T, dispite our differences and the elaborate webpage you made devoted just to me, I've decided not to sue you. I came pretty damn close to it today. Talked to a few different lawyers in Calgary and Los Angeles, and they did say I had a case for defamation of character. I at first thought, "Wow, I get to really nail this chick" So I plotted revenge for a few hours, but then the perspective came in. T you're lucky I'm forgiving of others weaknesses.

More or less, I just feel sorry for you now. I'm still flattered though that I inadvertantly managed to get you so angry that you devoted a webpage to me. Even though the manner in which you expressed yourself was childish and full of inaccuracies and insinuations. I really hope that it helped bring you to some sort of closure.

I'm still baffled by it though. Seriously, I hardly had much contact with this person, they really don't have a whole lot of legitimate reasons for that kind of deep hatred. Hell, even despite my issues with my #1 foe on DL, I don't hate Sylvan. I just got past my initial anger, and ignored him for the most part. It's just odd. I don't hate you T. I just thought you were pretty damned cranky.

Anyhow, no hard feelings. With anyone really. It doesn't matter anymore. Those whom I don't like, I will never have to deal with again.

So have fun, get levels, get gold, get resources, overall just enjoy yourself. I spent quite a bit of time being pissed off at people while I was there. And looking back on it now, it was a complete waste.

Remember kids... it's just a game. Play nice. Or at least ignore each other. :P

It was fun while it lasted.

The Tired Retiree,
Laurana

p.s. btw Britt.. if you hated me, why didn't you just tell me? I just found out today from Tisha's blog. But hey, a friendship was formed over hatred. At least something good came out of it though. No hard feelings though.

Last edited by Laurana on Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:47 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

Just in case you get this, farewell Laurana. There were several who DID like you, and I see your message was centered a lot around those who disliked/hated you. I didn't, and you will be sorely missed. =( There are many others who will as well =(

And yea... T is very lucky indeed =) Personally, thought she was a lot smarter than that. *cough* *Gets out her law books* *cackles*

*Huggles*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:28 am 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  ICQ  Profile

Ok, so my feelings are supposed to be hurt. I'm supposed to up and say 'I was wrong, I'm sorry, please forgive me because I'm the most awful person in the world.' Rather than being an actual mature adult about the whole situation, it was put out into the open and I'm pretty sure it was done to illicit a nasty response from myself. However, that's not how it is.

I see private messages, one-on-one meetings, or even tells could never remedy this or any other situation other than posting it for all to see. Take that route if you like, it makes you feel better. I never once said any negative things about specific people other than what was on my own space. If people chose to go the extra mile and read it, then it's only their fault what they find.

Contrary to belief, I don't center my website around one person and I don't devote my life to making others miserable (I have a family and a husband that I spend all of my time taking care of and loving)...I have a large enough account to cover almost everyone. I never set out in life for people to like me with all their heart, or hate me with all their soul, but the way I express myself illicits that form of expression from those who choose to enter into my world and see what my thoughts are...MY thoughts. It's just easier for me to do so when they open themselves so much to other people, not realizing that one day something they never wanted to get out would actually make it to someone whose rather unpleased with the way things are and have been.

The people who know me the best will know I never go to any lengths unless a) I'm provoked to do so, b) it happens to involve dear, close friends of mine in some form, or c) I'm amused by it and I wanted to express how I felt at that point in time. I'm not a hate monger, really, I've just come to realize that holding back feelings and concerns about issues isn't a good way to live...whether people choose to hold these items in a negative manner, that's of their own problem.

I only hate a few people, and when I say hate, I mean totally cutting them out of my life all together. Ask my sister or my father, my half-brother and my step family, my ex-husband and my ex-stepfather. It's really hard for me to hate someone that I "meet" on a text-based game when I can hate people I actually come into contact with at least once in my life outside of a computer desk and crappy PC. Contrary to some people's thoughts about my intelligence concerning the reason behind this response, I'm much smarter than that. If anyone honestly thinks people cna hold grudges against someone sitting on the other side of a computer screen, they obviously spend too much time being self-involved with things other than RL interactions with the general public. So like I said, if you thought I hated you, I didn't. I just disagreed with alot of things, and with the instances where the displeasure spilled out onto public avenues of expression, I felt I had every right to say what I did. Call it slander, if you will, but the pretenses against such a reaction weren't false or misleading at all.

By the way, you didn't have to go through the lengths that you did to hide my name. Most everyone knows who I am, whether by real or IG name, so most likely they'll know who you're referencing in all of this. And like I said, it must have killed you not to have discussed this with me one-on-one...did you really think I would be such a bad person and say 'Oh sorry, I don't think so'. I'm not as much of a hate monger as you think I am. Look at the differences Lingolas and I had for a while, yet we both made amends and things have been good.

So I guess we'll leave things are they are. I've taken steps to remedy the situation on my end, thus, it's done. And Shira, please dear, be more honest with me...and I shall return the favor ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:35 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

by laurana, we'll miss you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:52 am 

Either way, you know what you did was wrong. I have your source code from the website. And my attorney has already seen the site. Removing it only solves part of the problem. You deliberately posted incorrect and hurtful things about me. You can try saying that it never existed. But I have plenty of witnesses that are willing to back me up.

The damage has already been done. I'll see you in court

-Laurana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:13 am 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

"Contrary to belief, I don't center my website around one person and I don't devote my life to making others miserable"

This is pretty convincing Kariyana. O.o

"If anyone honestly thinks people can hold grudges against someone sitting on the other side of a computer screen, they obviously spend too much time being self-involved with things other than RL interactions with the general public."

Irony: I agree, so why post such a HATEFUL website? Sigh, hyprocrites.

"I'm not as much of a hate monger as you think I am. "

If what you did isn't deemed as hateful, I don't know what is.

"I felt I had every right to say what I did. Call it slander, if you will, but the pretenses against such a reaction weren't false or misleading at all."

Consequences of such actions and not to mention, in ADDITION to Slandar, Deflamation of Character. Libel. http://www.adidem.org/articles/DS5.html And er...Law states: Application of libel law to the Internet is simply assumed. You made a website. Bad move. shrug.

"And Shira, please dear, be more honest with me...and I shall return the favor."

???? Do explain, I am intrigued. =D

Post subject: I'm too damn nice
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:34 am 

As much as it pains me to give up the quest for sweet revenge.

I'm withdrawing the suit. Apparently, this would cause problems with her immigration to Canada. Thus splitting apart her family.

I don't want to be the person that is responsible for that.

Honestly, I still don't believe your apologies. However, I think a few valuable lessons have been learned that I would like to share with everyone:

1. Don't post inflammatory crap about another person on your website.
2. No matter how angry a person gets, they have to think about the possible repurcussions of their actions. (I learned this one today as well.)
3. Talking things out with the person you're having a problem with is likely to be effective.
and last, but not least...
Don't f--- with me. I enjoy revenge. Alot. And I know the best ways to do it when provoked properly.

Now, unless anyone else has any issues with me they want to bring up.... can I go now? I really don't want to come back.

The Benevolent Retiree,
Laurana

p.s. You owe me. Big Time.

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:11 pm 
Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

A) its a webPAGE in the website, not an entire website Shira.
B) its off the forums links

merry and jolly, all move on...if i didnt let this hop around on public chans, why are we seeing it in dark-legacy forum land? AFTER the web author was told to remove the page from forum view.

anyhoo, bye laurana, i know we butted heads alot too, but perhaps you'll find another game or just real life friends that give ya less grief :)

I'm me. Deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:28 pm 
 YIM  Profile

Ok first of all i dont hate u may i say i dislike u not hate to strong for me

Might sound weird but i hate to see you quit :) secondly i hope the way you played on the game was just a character not really you cause if it was i would be suprised if u had any friend.

Thirdly it was a complete waste that u got pissed of at ppl cause u took things so damn serious :) hope when u come back *if u do* u wont take things so damn serious anymore and lighten up a little. :) Bye we will miss *god damn i feel so nice now im gonna go eat a cookie now* :) have fun in the real world :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:59 pm 

Yeah, it was a waste of time being pissed off at people for so damn long.

Although it was sort of fun being pissed off at you Sylvan :P

I wont miss you though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:01 pm 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

Whether on a Website/Webpage, still a problem in the eyes of the court. So beware ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:33 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Good ridance to bad rubbish, nah JK cya laurana :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:38 am 

This is all rather entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:50 pm 
Caretaker

actually it isnt shira. If it had been a site that ruined laurana`s life and she lost her job and bf and crap. then yeah the courts would have a large word or two. aside from that, they`ll tell us all to stop being 2 year olds, apologize, get along or dont talk to one another at all. or find a new hobby. whichever.

either way, i hope we all move on and tralala and grow big and strong and uber powerful so that the epic mobs seem weaker and scrawnier and uglier......errr they already are real nasty buggers.

anyhoo, later

who all crafts jewellry anyways? whoever y`all are, mind sending me a private message on this thing?

I'm me. Deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:16 pm 
Lowbie
 WWW  Profile

Okay, had written this whole post on sections of articles on Libel/Slandar...afterall, *cough* helps to have lawyers in the family, but you know, if you don't know your rights, I can't argue with you.

I didn't even need Laurana to tell me that a lawyer told her she had a strong case, it's rather obvious if you know the law.

And no, they wouldn't say this: aside from that, they`ll tell us all to stop being 2 year olds, apologize, get along or dont talk to one another at all. or find a new hobby. whichever.

You watch Judge Judy too much. =P I assure you, they are much more conventional on such matters.

And, I craft Bindis. Let me know if you are interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:03 am 
Caretaker

i have plenty of lawyers i know. i won't explain the loophole for it. but know there is always a loophole.

you can think i dont know my rights, and thats fine by me. btw, i dont go by american law, so maybe y'all got a different set of rights.

I'm me. Deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:14 am 
To EVERYONE:

1.) Nothing is a waste as long as you learn somethimg from the situation.

2.) Sometimes it helps to have a venue where you can be pissed off at a lot of people but not have it really effect you in your real life. But try not to let things get out of control.

3.) Drama does have a way of making the world go round. There are some people who just thrive on it.

4.) If you cannot get along with someone, then do not associate with them and move on.

5.) Lawsuits like this could be done, but it would be very expensive for the person doing the suing due to jurisdictions and international law.

To Laurana and Kariyana,

This is not the place to be discussing this issue and I am locking this post. If you are having a problem with DL, a DL player, or something else related to DL, then please contact an immy ASAP and we will deal with this off the public forums.

Otherwise, DL has nothing to do with this situation and this is NOT the format in which to bring this situation up. This is better handeled with Private Messages and discussion with caretakers in a NON PUBLIC format.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]