Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Voter Registration ends on Monday!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:00 am 

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/messa ... 2004-10-01
Friday, October 1st, 2004
With One Month Left, 5 Easy Things to Do From Michael Moore

Dear Friends,

This is it: One month to D-Day! That's "Dump Bush Day," November 2nd.

It's now time to roll up our sleeves -- each and every one of us -- and get to work. There will be nearly 10 million of you who will read this letter either on my list or on my site. An army of ten million cannot be defeated! The time for hitting the snooze button has passed, voter registration deadlines start Monday and we only get one shot at this!!!

My plan is simple. Will you join me in the following?

1. REGISTER FIVE PEOPLE TO VOTE THIS WEEKEND. There are only a few days left in most states before voter registration is cut off. Keep asking like-minded people you know if they are registered. If they are not, take them to this website where you can show them where they need to go to get registered. Offer to take them there yourself. Take them to lunch afterward! If you can, pick up registration forms from your local city or county clerk (or get them from you local Democratic Party or Kerry HQ). Carry them with you everywhere you go. Hook up with local groups standing outside shopping centers and events this weekend or Monday or Tuesday and register people there. Nothing is more critical in the next 48 to 72 hours than to get our people registered. The wealthy and the conservatives are already registered -- the poor, the single moms, the recent transplants to your town are not. And neither are students and young adults (check local and state laws, some of which make it very hard
for college students to register and vote). VOTER REGISTRATION ENDS ON MONDAY IN Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Virginia. Make no mistake, if you live in any of these states – realize now that WHAT YOU DO OR DON’T DO THIS WEEKEND will have an effect on this election!!!

2. CALL AND VOLUNTEER NOW. There is nothing more important in the next 31 days than spending whatever free time you have working to remove George W. Bush from the White House. Again, call the local Democratic Party HQ or the local Kerry HQ or the ACT office and say you want to help. They will put you to work making calls, going door to door, putting up yard signs, lining up rides on Election Day for senior citizens, etc. Removing Bush and electing Kerry will tequire physical labor on all our parts. We just can't sit home and wish it to happen. (A Warning: Some local Dem HQs are not always as organized as you would hope them to be. If you call and they don't have it together, don't get discouraged. Just move on to my next point, #3...)

3. START YOUR OWN KERRY CAMPAIGN HEADQUARTERS! If the Dems don't have it together in your area, don't complain, just take matters into your own hands and run your own campaign for Kerry. Or, even if there is a strong Kerry presence in your county seat, there still may not be in the outlying areas where you live. There's nothing wrong with you and your friends saying, "OK, today we inaugurate the Kerry HQ here in Hooterville...or Kurt Cobain High...or Dorm Building 5!" If you can't get signs or leaflets, make your own! Don't wait for someone to do it, otherwise it won't get done. Send me pictures of your own renegade Elect Kerry/Dump Bush HQ and I will put them up on my site!

4. IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN A SWING STATE, GO THERE AND START SWINGING. Virtually everyone in this country lives within driving distance of one of the 20 battleground states where the election will be close. Pick one weekend this month and go on a fall color tour to dump Bush. Pack up the kids or the neighbors, pick a town -- any town -- in your nearest swing state, reserve a room at the local Motel 6 and hit the road! Volunteer online or call ahead to the local party HQ to say you are coming and you want them to put you to work (again, if there is no one there to put you to work, make your own handbills, print out a thousand of them, and just show up in Anywhere, Ohio and start going door to door). There are other groups doing work in the swing states that you can hook-up with, like ACT and Driving Votes who could really use your help getting out the vote. You don't have to feel left out of this election just because you live in New York or California or Illinois or any of the other 29 states the candidates won't be visiting. Take matters into your own hands. Think of what a great educational experience it will be for your kids -- or yourself. JUST ONE WEEKEND THIS MONTH -- PLAN IT NOW!

5. TAKE OFF WORK OR SCHOOL NOVEMBER 2. We need everyone working the polls, the phones, the neighborhoods from dawn to dusk. Poll watchers are needed to make sure there is no cheating. Help is needed in all 50 states and you can do it from home or you can park yourself in a swing state for the day.

There you have it. Five Simple Steps. I’ll be doing my part as I travel the
country to the 20 swing states. Please join with me in this effort. Kerry is
doing his part, he won the first debate (stop the kvetching...of course YOU
would have done a better job! But YOU'RE not running for president! He beat Bush...Bush must go!!). Remember, what's at stake in this election is bigger than John Kerry, bigger than political parties and all the other noise that accompanies politicians and their elections. This is about that mother from Flint, Michigan -- and all the other mothers from all the other towns in
America -- who have lost and WILL LOSE their sons and daughters in Bush’s never-ending war in Iraq.

Please, put aside whatever keeps you from jumping in to do the necessary work to remove George W. Bush from office. This can only be accomplished when you, right now, stop reading this letter and make that call (or click that mouse) to get involved.

Thanks so much...

Michael Moore
mmflint@aol.com
http://www.michaelmoore.com
http://www.michaelmoore.com/takeaction/vote/

P.S. If you are having trouble registering or voting, call 1-866-OUR-VOTE.

P.P.S. If you have a chance to see Going Upriver, the great new documentary about John Kerry in theaters this week, do so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:54 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

woot!

just wondering:

who's voting for who in this presidential election? why? and what state you are from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:04 am 

I don't vote. Politicians are generally puppets of some other means. Popular vote doesn't count anyway. It's a representative democracy. The electoral college chooses the president, not the public.

Post subject: besides
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:22 am 
Retired Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

whoever you vote for is just going to serve their own interests anyways, screw you over, and leave you with the knowledge that you helped put that person in power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:42 am 
Dual-Avatar

That's why all Americans should just learn one song...

O Canada, Our home and native land... just kidding *runs*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:13 am 

Jore, popular vote does count to an extent. If you live in a swing state then your vote counts even more.

That kind of apathy is how we get idiots like George Bush elected.

But to answer lingo's question - California, and I'm voting for Nader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:13 am 

George Bush made it in because he's got a family dynasty to back him up. It's just a buncha rich people playing games. That's ALL politics are.

It's not apathy, it's aggrevation.

If politicians were about people, we'd have a better educational system. We'd have a lot less violence, and elderly could be properly looked after instead of being put in retirement homes because the average family can't afford to take care of them.

Instead, we have a military ready to blow up anything that moves, and a President that can't even speak correctly. Probably couldn't even write his own name if a gun were held up to his head.

Now I ask you, what morons voted for him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:28 am 

Jorelani, my thoughts/corrections on your last post:

-Family Dynasty? lmao. having one father who was president does not make it a dynasty. The kennedy's... thats a dynasty.

Apathy comes from aggravation. You seem to have cared before, but now you dont, because you're angry and aggravated at the system. Apathetic does seem to apply.

Politics are about people. Those politicians wouldn't even be there if the people didnt vote for them. It's our fault for having a country full of ignorant asshats who cant tell their knee from their elbow half the damn time. And it's not because of the educational system. It's the culture and how they were brought up. Face it, we're brought up to be self-righteous, arrogant, cant wait more then 30 seconds for a cheeseburger, ignorant pains in the asses. That is the american society. Until we change ourselves, and the image we present to the world, we wont have decent politicians.

Violence. Well, my thoughts on violence are simple. It all starts with the kids. Kids that aren't being taken care of properly, so they find other stuff to do... bad stuff. But I wont get into my theories about why I think if people cant take care of their kids they shouldn't breed. That would solve more problems... but unfeasible and impossible to enforce.

Old people. It's more expensive to put an old person in a home then to have them lying around the house. Plus, they're a live in babysitter :)
And if its a case of the family not being able to watch their parent due to medical difficulties, its more logical to put them in a home where they can get the care that they need.

Now about Bush. I'm not a supporter of him by any means, and I will make jokes about him. But you can't seriously make an argument about his intelligence. He's not the sharpest crayon in the box but hes not that much of an idiot. He can of course right his own name, without a gun to his head. Besides, it doesnt matter. He's a just a figurehead. Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Powell are the ones really running things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:41 am 

You're forgetting Jeb Bush, you know, in Florida. The home of crackpot voting.

And simply because there aren't a dozen Bush's running around like the Kennedys doesn't mean anything. They don't have to share the last name. Regardless.

I was exaggerating on the whole Bush literacy thing. Ford wasn't any brighter, either. I simply don't trust him. Period.

And, yeah, it's not Bush really running things, but he holds it in his power to declare war, and that's what is the scariest idea when it comes right down to it.

He's even looking to reinstate the draft in '05. The 'new' draft anyway. What garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:58 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

correction:
Bush has no power to declare war. Congress does.

popular votes do not count; however, they strongly influence electorial votes.

Popular votes do matter because it makes politians pay more attention to the people. Popular votes have driven politians to do major changes in the American history.
Example:
Civil Right movement - democrats needed votes from blacks so favor the civil right movement.
Ending the Vietnam conflict - Nixon needed the votes of pacifists and other anti-war individuals.
Social Security/ senior health care - Politians needed the votes of baby boomers.
Bush and Karry have visited Ohio more than 20x. People in Ohio get extra attention because they hold the voting power :)

If 70% of the US population are prostitutes, politians will advocate prostitution and fight for prostitutes' rights.

Polititans will do almost anything to get the votes. Assuming that this is true, we, the people have alot of power than we realize.

I doubt that the draft will be approved. even if it is, it will go back out again for obvious reasons.
(you can not fight a war when 1/2 of the people don't want to be there and are willing to sabotage)

Bush is ethnocentric therefore he will never get my vote. He needs to learn how to keep his damn conservatism, theology, "morality," and other ideologies to himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:40 am 
Caretaker
 WWW  YIM  Profile

for once... i agree with lingolas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:46 pm 

quick note about the draft. Congress just shot it down completely. Yay!!

And I agree with Lingolas. The whole bible holding "because im a believer it makes me a good person and God is on the side of america thing" is just lame.

Welcome to the reasoning that has caused thousands of wars across the world over thousands over years. "my god is better then your god. nyah nyah. now prepare to be assimilated" *yawn* can we please get past this whole religion thing and stop killing each other over it? I'm sick of it.