Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Player Feedback
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:05 am 
Arch-Caretaker
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

I'm seeking feedback from all players concerning the current state of the game, in regards to administration, theme, and building. Anything you want to say, be it a complaint or a compliment to the game. You may post in this thread or private message me if you wish to say something that you feel would be best kept out of the public spotlight.

Please do not swear or become derogatory, as I will simply be forced to delete or ignore your feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:11 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

My compliment goes to the own of the mud and all the caretakers. For making the game fun and enjoyable. We could use more quest in the game for special equipment. example: key ring, tattoos, runewords. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:11 am 
 YIM  Profile

Okay i might seem like im bashing ppl and yeah some of you won't agree with what im saying but i don't really care, and those of you that see this going on back me up pretty plz :) Any with adminstriation it seems as though most of the caretakers are friends -.- not a bad thing but they all are close friends and agree upon everything even if it isn't right and there is way way too much favoritism going not trying to tell you how to do your job or anything but c'mon one of you has got to be wrong sometimes -.0 my suggestion is picking caretakers from diffrent catigory not just the same repetive ppl -we need more caretakers- active ones at that i mean yeah kiasyn is always on but thats only kiasyn and whatever kiasyn decides atm goes, i mean yeah they can all get along with each other but they shouldn't be close friends cause whatever one friends says the other tends to agree with him to keep hold of that friendship :P

Last edited by Samius on Fri May 05, 2006 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:17 am 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i agree with fiona area idea. We need some more area in the game and maybe add some quest. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:26 am 
 YIM  Profile

i agree with zidane and i think i have something that might spice up the game a bit (its starting to get a bit repetitive log on, level/epic, chat on ooc, go mining, level some more, and then finnally go to sleep)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:48 am 
Lowbie
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

I agree with samius on the caretaker thing, because the more caretakers you have the more ideas you'll be able to have, and the possibilty to have a more enjoyable experiance for everyone. Also more quests would be a good idea, and give people a reason to play the game other then just levelling and crafting.

Lat., Insipientis est dicere, Non putarum.
[It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought.]
-Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:54 am 

Perhaps instead of the caretakers actioning pieces of random tatoos etc there could be quests for some of the pieces? IE fairly difficult complex quests that might take you all over alora (granted eventually people will figure it out and share it with others, but hey... thats half the fun)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:49 pm 
Tri-Avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

just another idea (food for thoughs). We should be able to make traps. non-magic and magic. People can compose box, spring, etc.. and add potion that set off each tick. if it on the ground or inventory. This will improve building idea. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:18 pm 

So I guess I'll comment on all three subjects, then. :)

Administration:
I've never had a problem with the admins here. Whenever I've needed help, I always get a quick response and problem solved.
10/10

Theme:
Assuming this means the overall feel of the land, how things fit together, etc. The first thing that comes to mind is Armageddon. Its theme is biblical in nature, and Alora doesn't really seem to be a land familiar with Christian-like beliefs. But since I don't really have any better idea about what kind of area it should be, I can't say much more. :P
9/10

Building:
Aside from a lot of stock areas that could use their room descs re-written (I've seen some grossly-ooc descs out there, but can't think of where they are at the moment), there really isn't a lot to complain about. Seeing more quests would be good, as others have said. Questing was about 50% of what I did in my last mud, and I came to DL to find there weren't very many completable quests that were worth doing. In recent days though as far as I can see, it looks like that's going to change. ^_^
9/10

Overall, my time playing DL has been really fun, and I've never had any major complaints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:56 pm 

Ok then, guess i'll throw my 2 cents in as well since you asked...

First, i'd like to try to dispel Samius' point about how the caretakers are all such good friends that they always agree on everything, and therefore bad ideas, or judgement errors get pushed through because they're given automatic support.
I can offer an unique viewpoint here, as a fair portion of the playerbase knows, i was nearly made a caretaker the last time there was a need for a new caretaker, and i have the respect(i believe) of all the active caretakers and am privy to a lot of info the rest of the mortal contingency of the mud is not.
The notion that the caretakers never disagree with one another is absurd, if it didn't violate the trust people have placed in me when they come to me to vent about things that are bothering them, i could show logs of msn convos which would show numerous debates/disagreements/arguments among the caretakers. The fact that they ARE friends is what allows these differences in opinions to occur *without* it becoming public knowledge, and interfering with the playerbase's enjoyment.

I've been around DL for a lonnnnnnnnnnng time now, and i can honestly say that i've always been quick to point out DL's warts, it's problems, the things *I* felt were ruining the mud, and the changes that have occured in the last few months, both in the administration, and the changes to the code/areas/mobs/eq that have happened recently have me believing that DL has turned the corner, and is on the way to solving all those issues and being *much* better for it.

More quests....yes, that would be cool, but i'd prefer more of the type of quest that requires some thought to complete rather than just gathering a bunch of triavs and dying dozens of times to some supermob for 1 person to get lucky and get the kb.

'nuff said.

Post subject: My Input
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:23 pm 
Caretaker
 YIM  Profile

First, I would like to say congratulations to the current team of caretakers for doing such a wonderful job. You guys work hard to keep the peace and deserve a round of applause.

Samius, this is in direct response to your post:

“with adminstriation it seems as though most of the caretakers are friends -.- not a bad thing but they all are close friends and agree upon everything even if it isn't rightâ€

~Spirit Wolf~
Sentinels of Wolf Spirit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:44 pm 
 YIM  Profile

yes please post some times when caretakers have disagreed on something :P just for my amusement, why is it that only a certain few have access to these disagreements i mean if caretakers are arguing about me id like to know why :P and if it isn't for my ears why is eventine able to witness it, as far as i know me and him have equal rights :P (about the trouble makers thing i know i make trouble but i don't do it cause i want too i argue when i see a reason to argue and i do the things i do cause i feel i have to do it, i don't go around killing ppl unless i have been wronged or something)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:55 am 
Dual-Avatar

Samius, the fact that I was unbanned goes to show that caretakers do not always agree. If they did, I would not be allowed near these parts.

Caretakers: While I have had trouble with them in the past, I do not have too much to complain about them lately. I can't really say they conspire against the playerbase like I used to...although I would say that they are not as active in dealing with Issues and Complaints since Isabelle left... *cough*I'd like an answer*cough*.

Theme: Dark-Legacy really isn't that deeply involved in the theme. While it is there, it pretty much takes a backseat to hack'n'slash. Area / Theme consistency would be a nice start. The first thing that comes to mind is the inconsistency on the alignment and power of dragons between different areas and the ancestries.

Building: I have not seen much involved building in the time that I have been around lately. It would be all but futile, I feel, any way, though. Not many people are going about trying to explore; people are generally too lazy to go out and find new levelling areas because it's not worth their time; if we give new levelling areas perks such as faster levelling or better items, it would just make the game that much easier than it already is. The exception to this is the fabled plan of epic areas, which would be quite nice to see and might even lure me back to the game for more than a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:35 am 

uh..... you know the whole Dark Legacy story...... maybe someone can put that to use........ you know................. it's a decent story and a nice quest or something can be made..... perhaps something that will not end, maybe ever. Just parts of a quest being 'leaked' or 'released' arbitrarily throughout time.

I'm sure the main flaw with DL is quests, or lack thereof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:23 pm 

Constantine wrote:
Caretakers: Shout out to Samius and Dunadan i cant understand 'Sentinel' but i do agree with EVERYTHING Samius says. If there is a poster child for what happens when people dont like you its me :?

If there is one thing id like to add to this game to put an end to the monoteny it would be a Dark Magic division :D

This is 2 cents from Constantine(Elaine) dont hate the Legend hate the Game!

You break rules like its your job... And everyone doesn't like you.

I do think the Caretakers bicker and fight amongst themselves. However, it is not appropriate in front of the player base. They should and do provide a unified front to all mortals. And then piss and fight with each other on MSN and the other mortals who're higher up (going to be caretakers/extensive testers/just around all the time)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:10 pm 
Tri-Avatar

I am not happy with how DL's administration has been operating lately. The immortals have been more focussed on punishing bad behavior than they have been on encouraging good behavior and promoting fun, which is certainly a bad indicator.

Thats my big complaint. I do not feel as if it should be the job of the caretaker to just enforce laws and punish people. If thats what they should be, perhaps they should have their names changed to Policemen or Enforcer, or something. Where is the positive attitude? Everything anybody is said is immediatly interpretaed in the worst possible way, the hostility is off the charts. Constant politics, drama, and overall shenanigans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:04 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

I have been playing DL for around 5 years now and I've gone through many major changes. I like to make compliments and point out concerns. I know it may be brutal, but the things that we dont want to hear are the things that we need to hear.

compliments:

- World map- I think this is one of the greatest achievement. This is what makes DL superior to all other MUDs.

- Crafting Code- The crafting code has generated all kind of equipments. This ranges from crappy useless junky items to super powerful gears. The diversity in equipment on DL is unbelievable. Great Job!

- Epic leveling - Classic hack and slash style is endless. This is great for people who just want to kill and enjoy the thrill of leveling up.

- The Wiz Crew - Eventhough there are what i call "bad caretakers" i have to agree that overall, there are more good caretakers than bad ones. I also have to admit that even the bad caretakers work hard to keep DL enjoyable. I want to specifically point out how much I appreciate celeborn for keeping his nose out of mortals business as much as possible.

Players shops/structures
There are alot more things to compliment to but it would take me all night so i will stop here and move on to the concerns

Concerns:

Caretaker's Involvement- I think that some of the caretakers are way too involved in the business of players. I personally dont think that it is their business. I think that they should stay in the background as much as possible. Obviously they should come out to settle disputes and regulate essential elements that is important to keep the mud running smoothly, they should not mettle with the affairs of mortals.

Justice System- I dont like the way how the justice system is set up. I believe there is a thread on this somewhere so i wont go in detail.

Lack of Excitement- There is a serious lack of quests and exitment in Alora. (If i become a caretaker, this would be one area that i will focus on)

Caretaker auctioning emeralites. I guess you can argue that Harax does the same thing with titan and celestial equ pieces. However, i dont agree that any of these items should be auctioned by any caretakers. These items have great value and the difficulty of getting them should reflect that. When a caretaker auction these items, they are basically giving them away to the richest players that are logged on at that time. And we all know that there are many rich players abused bugs to become rich rather than by hard work or honest work.

Caretakers that make up lies. I will not elaborate this publicly.

New patches are released before current bugs are fixed. I dont like this because the new patches generate more bugs. As a result, DL is always full of bugs. Certain bugs are pointed out for months before they are changed.

Players should not be punished for taking advantage of normal game play mechanisms. Taking advantage of bugs is another not the same.

Playing using the browser does not work properly. I have noticed two problems so far. 1) you can not see what you are typing. Whatever you are typing is lost along with the buffer. 2.)browswer frequently stops working completely. What i usually do is fresh the whole page and relog in.

We are unable to decorate our structures with ansii art like in the pass because the description doesnt recognize spaces and paragraphs properly.

I'm sure that there are more but i will continue the list some other day. I hope what I provided is helpful and that my input helps make DL a better mud.

Lingolas

Last edited by lingolas on Mon May 08, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:11 pm 
Lowbie
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I myself think there should be a few changes in the build. For one, I dont know if it would make much of a difference, but with runewords. I hate when you get a wax tablet then waste a few ultra's on it because you put it in the wrong kind of weapon. There should be somewhere u have to pay like a certain amount of gold or somethin to get it identified or sumthin to tell what kind of weapon to use it in. Also, if epic mobs dropped socketed items, that would be real cool. Maybe have a map trader or somethin.. say like you have like 100 stained maps.. u could trade for a like a cryptic.. or maybe like 50 staineds for a tattered. maybe like 100 childish or so for a tattered. stuff like that. Also, Maybe even rarer maps then just stained, tattered, and cryptic.. like there are already 5 kinds, childish,simple, stained, tattered, and cryptic. maybe make a few where you have to get pieces of a map, to actually find it :) and like it shows how many pieces you need left for that certain map. You could use the combine command on them. like left side, right side. or top bottom middle maybe? I think that would make it more interesting. Also, ive noticed that there arent runewords on armor. This would also be a cool addition that I think would make alot of players actually seek mob eq. Even if its only elemtental rune runewords, you could still have like 5-9 sockets or sumthin really hard to make more people work for them :) Also, like a bunch of previous players have said, quests would be nice if they were back :)

Thanks for reading
Shrowder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:58 pm 
treasure hunter..pfft heh, there is another map type above those, but it is an -extremely- rare pop..seems to be well under 1% tho..I know of 2 that have popped in the last couple years..not sure if there have been more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:52 pm 
Lowbie
 WWW  YIM  Profile

hmm, wonder who dug them up :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:14 pm 
Dual-Avatar

We need randomized mob item drops and random properties spawning on mob items, like WoW and Diablo 2, but without giving up our crafting system. Randomly spawning good items is fun, and I think it would spice up the craft system if you had to hunt for enchantments instead of killing the same mobs over and over again for the same drainables.

And yes, we DO get to use the internet in basic military training. You have to use it to look up stuff for your security clearance application. Unfortunately, it's only two days out of the whole training period, though. I'll be back on regularly within a month, most likely, during tech school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:33 am 
Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

sylvan your post has been removed, take it to the complaint threads.

I'm me. Deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:41 am 
 YIM  Profile

i kinda figured it would be lol i just wanted ppl to know whats kinda going on -.- caretakers pwn don't get me wrong they help with the game and once ive read back on what ive said i seem to bash them a lot its just those certain moments that i think some take their irl anger and turn against those playing the game :p srry *just got a bit agitated*