Dark Legacy MUD Forum

Multi User Fantasy Text Game
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Reincarnation and karma
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:33 am 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

is there such thing as reincarnation? How about karma? If your answer is no, simply post no, there is no need to explain. If your answer is yes, explain why you think there are such things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:59 am 
Dual-Avatar
 E-mail  YIM  Profile

no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:50 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

I don't believe in Karma but I do believe in ReIncarnations

I say I do because in this generation I see people who look and act 99.9% like somebody from a looooong time ago...I can't give youe examples cause i'm not good with names :P but i always say that everybody in this new millinium, tis new generation has ties of how they look,act, and things they do/wanna do to the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:00 am 
Tri-Avatar

Kamseki wrote:
I don't believe in Karma but I do believe in ReIncarnations

I say I do because in this generation I see people who look and act 99.9% like somebody from a looooong time ago...I can't give youe examples cause i'm not good with names :P but i always say that everybody in this new millinium, tis new generation has ties of how they look,act, and things they do/wanna do to the past.

Thats called genetics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:49 am 
 E-mail  Profile

No

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:06 am 
Lowbie
 E-mail  Profile

no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:01 am 

Karma Yes, In the general sense that what goes around comes around. No, As a law of the universe.

Reincarnation Yes, But not the reincarnation that you are thinking about.

When I was young and a smark aleck, I thought I would make an old medicine look stupid when he said he belived in reincarnation after I explained it to him. His explaination to me made me the one who looked stupid.

I asked him "There are a number of people in the world, all of whom claim to be a man named Alexander that died many years ago. If reincarnation is true, how do we know which one of them is Alexander, and which ones are deluded for they all have memories of this man?"

He answered "None of them are deluded, they are all this man Alexander you speak of. During our life we all have the same chance to join with the Great Spirit when we die and enter into eternity with him. When we die, the Great Spirit will read our spirit and judge if we are worthy to enter enternity. If we are not worthy, we are cast into the great lake of destruction and creation, to be disolved into our parts by its flames. When the Great Spirit creates a new being, he reaches into the lake and takes the parts to create this new being, each is unique. These parts retain the memories of all the beings that it was part of before, so the Great Spirit commands them to forget. But if these parts belonged to a great person at one time, these memories may resurface for they contain some of the power of that great person, and that power may be greater than the current owner. This Alexander you speak of must have been a great man for so many people to retain his memories, but he failed to enter eternity. Go to each of them and record every memory they have of this great man. When you compair the memories you will find that no two of them will share the exact same memory of this Alexander."

He got me good. I do not remember what tribe he was from or his name. For all I know, this may not even be part of his belief, and was just pulling my leg. Yet it made more sense than any other theory for reincarnation I have heard of. It made a deep impact on me, for from that time on I stopped being such a smart a##, and started listening more, or at least trying to. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:37 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Karma yes, the kind where everyone will get his or hers in the end but also practically that doing bad things leads to self-destruction. Ie. being a serial killer, doesnt teach you anything worthwhile about life, you end up dead or in jail not bettering yourself. (Assuming he/she doesnt have some sort of epiphany) Even if there was no jail etc, you start thinking and feeling things that are wrong/destructive.

Reincarnation yes, though i suppose i cant explain why with overpopulation there would be an increased number of souls. The only reason i could think of would be a force like the Great Spirit Arureal spoke about or sort of like the whole Gaia principle from Final Fantasy. I also cant help but feel its logical, no one can learn all there is to learn about life in one lifespan, and so I think we are reincarnated based on what we need to learn and what our choices have been. (Otherwise, the meaning of life is pretty dismal to me, so i like to be optimistic)

This is also not a reason, but it was a very interesting thing to see. I watched in some philosophy class a video about reincarnation. What they did was record a bunch of people in Australia who had never been outside the continent (we dont know this 100% of course) who went to a hypnotist and in the video they showed 3 of them where a strange thing occurred. Under hypnosis, one started speaking gibberish german, one recalled a past life somewhere in england, and another said she was apparently a doctor in scotland somewhere. They kept asking questions about where they lived, asking for landmarks etc. And as you can guess they went with them to England etc. and for the most part found those places pretty accurately with about 20% of it (as far as we can see from the video of course) turned out to be different or wrong. I also dont mean general things like: i lived near a mountain. I mean they even described streams, the houses they lived in, etc etc. While the proof they gave was various things like finding said stream with its peculiar trademark, and the house with very old stones as the floor which (i forgot how) turned out be connected. The video was a talk show of sorts about hypnosis, but they also talked to another couple in the audience who was there because they had found out that she in a past life was some sort of maid/servant in a household during WW2, and he was at that time a prisoner who escaped and found that same household during WW2. They said they can recall that they looked at each other just before the guy was found and shot by the Nazi's (under hypnosis, and not "Oh i know him" but "there was a man who was, etc". They connected the dots later). They ended up marrying.

Very long post im sorry, but i thought it was an incredibly interesting idea. I doubt its fully true at best, but i think its possible to some degree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:29 pm 
Caretaker
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

Let's see...Karma...yes. I think it not only goes around and comes around, but those closest to you are affected by it as well. People say it only happens if you're a good or bad person, but whether we like it or not..everything that concerns us, concerns someone else. Someone kills themselves...those left behind are left to hurt. If you murder people, those left on the outside are left to deal with what you've done. I personally think if you screw up your kharma, you're tipping the kharma of someone else. Someone who more than likely didn't deserve it.

Reincarnation...yes. I've seen too much to not believe in it. I could tell you exactly what my hovel looked like during a period in old egypt when pharaohs still ran amuck, that i was some peasant citizen who ran around in a pretty put-together skirt (apparently i really didnt like getting it dirty...peasant thinking he was better than the rest around him) ...that i was a dude...o m g. and that down the little path between hovels, you had a small corner where 2 little food carts were (their owners would come in from the fields to trade what little they could, and that they looked a heck of alot more tattier than i did.

I say it because it's what I believe to be the truth and it is part of the memories that come to the surface more easily than some of the things in my lifetime. Those who don't believe in reincarnation won't even bother to think I'm serious...others who do believe in it, would be more likely to at least consider.

I like the old medicine man's idea on the parts of souls. It would make sense why some can only remember certain aspects of a past life and forget everything else. And if it's true you take on some of the traits of that past life...then it's no bloody wonder i'm an arrogant little bleep who acts higher than my station in life lol. Can I be evil now? Grr Argh.

I'm me. Deal with it.

Last edited by Roje on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:45 pm 
Dual-Avatar
 WWW  Profile

Karma? i'm not sure
reincarnation. I have no reason to believe such thing exists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:21 am 

Karma, yin-yang, dark/light, life/death, 0/1. It is just as much of a law as anything. It is a universal truth.

Reincarnation? Not so sure.